Snoring Might Seem Harmless, But It Could Signal A Serious Condition
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea occurs when your upper airway becomes blocked during sleep, causing you to stop breathing for periods ranging from seconds to minutes. These interruptions can happen numerous times throughout the night, depriving your brain and body of essential oxygen and putting you at risk of respiratory failure.
Untreated sleep apnea can lead to severe health issues, including diabetes, depression, headaches, high blood pressure, stroke, heart failure, and irregular heartbeats. Additionally, it can significantly impact your daily life by causing irritability, fatigue, and daytime drowsiness.
What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?
Symptoms of sleep apnea may include:
- Loud snoring
- Daytime fatigue
- Gasping or choking sensations during sleep
- Forgetfulness, reduced interest in sex, and mood changes
- Morning headaches
- Extreme drowsiness
- Irregular sleep patterns
- Difficulty breathing
- Dry or sore throat upon waking
If you experience any of these symptoms, it's essential to consult with the experts at Beyond Dentistry. They can conduct a thorough evaluation to determine if you have sleep apnea, looking for signs like teeth grinding, scalloped tongue edges, and throat redness.
How is sleep apnea treated?
At Alexandra Park Dental, various treatment options are available for sleep apnea, including:
- Custom-fitted night guards: These devices are worn in the mouth while sleeping, helping to advance the lower jaw and keep the airway open.
- Lifestyle changes: Making dietary adjustments and quitting smoking can reduce pressure on the airways.
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) device: A sleep specialist may prescribe this machine, which delivers a continuous stream of oxygen to prevent airway closure.
Don't let sleep apnea disrupt your life. Schedule an appointment with Alexandra Park Dental today to find the right solution for you.
We will gladly answer any questions you may have.Ask Questions
Alexandra Park Dental offers the ability to request your dentist appointments online. Schedule an appointment now!Book Online
New Patient Forms
By filling out the New Patient Forms ahead of time you will save significant time on your visit.New Patient Forms
Dental Hygiene & Cleanings Leduc.
Preventive dentistry is the key to a long-lasting, healthy smile. Professional dental care is just as essential as brushing and flossing regularly. Preventative care in the form of professional dental services is crucial to avoiding difficult and expensive dental issues later on.