Braces or Invisalign? Which one is better for you?
Braces vs Invisalign
Besides giving you a beautiful smile, straightening your teeth improves your overall oral health. Straightening your teeth aligns your jaw and corrects your bite, and it also helps you stave off cavities because straight teeth are easier to clean. When you are considering orthodontics to get your teeth straightened, two of the most popular choices for treatment are traditional braces or Invisalign.
Both braces and Invisalign are designed to straighten teeth while improving your smile and oral health. Modern braces come with different variations of materials like metal (traditional braces), ceramic braces, lingual braces, and self-ligating braces. Braces are attached to your teeth while Invisalign and other clear aligners are removable.
Braces Pros and Cons:
- Braces are attached to your teeth and cannot be removed at home. This can make brushing and flossing more difficult as food can get stuck between braces.
- There are certain restrictions on food depending on the type of braces you have. Certain types of food such as chewy crunchy food has to be avoided when going through braces treatment.
- Since braces are non-removable, they are usually a good option for teenagers and people that are likely to leave them out or lose/break them.
- Braces are more effective for complex orthodontic issues and severe cases.
- Regular follow-up visits to the dentist are needed as you go through treatment with braces.
Invisalign Pros and Cons:
- These are clear removable aligners and they can be removed before eating as well as brushing teeth.
- There are no food restrictions when using Invisalign as you can remove the aligners before eating.
- Self-discipline is needed for a successful Invisalign treatment, since the aligners have to be worn for at least 22 hours a day.
- Invisalign aligners can get stained and need to be cleaned and brushed gently on a regular basis.
- Less visits to the dentist are needed when using Invisalign, and you might only need to visit the dentist once every few months.
If you’re an adult or have a teen, who tends to be self-conscious, Invisalign may appeal to you. And the fact that it’s removable so you can eat, drink, brush and floss more naturally, may sound desirable. But if the idea of having to remove your trays for meals or while drinking anything but water seems inconvenient, Invisalign may not be the best solution for you. Plus remember, you should brush after each meal before putting your trays back in, to avoid staining.
It is possible to fall out of a good routine with Invisalign, by neglecting to put them back in after meals, for instance, or forgetting to sleep with them in. For that reason, some patients prefer braces, because they don't require you to keep track of the aligners when they are not in your mouth. Compliance is still important; brushing and flossing regularly, visits to the dentist, etc; but you don't need to worry about losing the appliance.
Give us a call if you have any questions or book your free orthodontic consultation.
We will gladly answer any questions you may have.Ask Questions
Alexandra Park Dental offers the ability to request your dentist appointments online. Schedule an appointment now!Book Online
New Patient Forms
By filling out the New Patient Forms ahead of time you will save significant time on your visit.New Patient Forms
Dental Hygiene & Cleanings Leduc.
Preventive dentistry is the key to a long-lasting, healthy smile. Professional dental care is just as essential as brushing and flossing regularly. Preventative care in the form of professional dental services is crucial to avoiding difficult and expensive dental issues later on.